The Liberty Ship George Washingtion Carver
The U.S. Army Hospital Ship Dogwood (of 7933 gross tons), built in Richmond, California, entered mercantile service upon completion in May 1943 as the Liberty ship George Washington Carver. Delivered to the Army in November 1943, she was converted to a Hague Convention hospital ship in 1943-44 and renamed for a flower.
Between July 1944 and the spring of 1945, Dogwood made seven trips between the U.S. East Coast and England. Ordered to the Pacific in May 1945, she arrived in the Philippines in late June.
After two trips to the Southwest Pacific, she made two voyages from the Philippines to San Francisco, California. Dogwood was decommissioned as a hospital ship at San Francisco in January 1946.
Reverting to her original Liberty ship name, she was converted to a transport and carried troops and dependents from Alaska to Seattle. The Army Transport George Washington Carver was decommissioned later in 1946, placed in reserve in March 1947, and sold in January 1964 for scrapping.